Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hello, Spring {Mantle}!

Finally, what I have been waiting for since January....spring! Sure it may not feel like it (it was snowy here this morning), but the calendar telling me its spring means we are one step closer to the real thing.

I don't have any spring decorations to speak of, but with a change in the seasons I was in the mood for some bright pops of spring around the house. If it doesn't feel like spring outside it might as well feel like it inside, right?

One spot that could use a little decorating love in my house is my mantel. It looks good in the fall and at Christmas, but during the rest of the year we are in a fight. I am never happy with how its decorated. When I got this recent urge for spring decor, what I really wanted to do was go to Hobby Lobby and explore all of their fun springy decorations. I knew they would have what I needed to create some fabulous over the top mantle decoration, but for a girl on a budget that wasn't an option.

I got resourceful (as a kindergarten teacher and budget savvy diva are prone to do) and scrounged around the house to see what I could find.

Here is what I came up with:


The yellow bird has lived on my mantel off and on for a year or so now and he came from Hobby Lobby. The beautiful daffodils came out of my yard and the Ball jar out of my cabinet. The robins eggs are votive candles that my Grammie brought me as a hostess gift in January. The raffia nest was part of the packaging and the ribbon on the Ball jar came tied around the candle box (that is why it is kind of crinkly and wonky). I nestled all of those things in a fruit dish, also from my kitchen cabinet.

So, what do you think? I am very happy with how it turned out. It is simple and sweet, although once the daffodils die I am SOL again since I cut all of the good ones out of my yard, but for now it is a happy promise of the warm spring weather to come.

Do you ever go shopping in your house when you get the urge to decorate? It is fun to see what you can come up with!

Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment